Friday, June 6, 2014

On Eli...

Eli turned 5 on January 12th!  In the months leading up to his birthday he did lots of brainstorming about his party - it was his first one with friends included - initially he wanted a Lion King theme, but then switched to pirates in December.  He wanted a marble cake (chocolate & vanilla) for the party and asked me to bring Twizzlers (again!) to his class for his birthday treat!  It is so much fun to watch him develop his tastes and share them with confidence.













He continues to love sports!  He played soccer this Spring and we loved watching him play each week - he was excellent at defense and scored goals in the last three games.  During the winter and early Spring we moved our basketball goal inside and also played hockey indoors.  He loves to look at books about sports and talk about statistics.  He's recently become very interested in golf...if you drive by our house you'll see us walking around the yard looking for lost tees and balls...practice makes perfect, right?  He told Chris, "come outside and be my pit crew while I golf"...getting the sports of car-racing and golf a bit mixed up...Chris told him "the helper in golf is called a caddie!" 





He also continues to love animals!  Earlier this year I told him about how one of my friend's grandfather killed a chicken snake in front of me when I was about his age...he cannot stop asking questions about that..."Mom, what time of day was it when the snake got killed?", "Did the snake already eat one of the eggs?", "Do you think he was about to eat an egg?" Our drive to his school takes about 15-minutes and he usually fills that time with animal questions...here's a recent conversation:

Eli: Mom, who would win between an lion and a tiger?
Me: I think a lion would win.
Eli: Who would win between two tigers and one lion?
Me: I think the two tigers would win because they would work together.
Eli: We would win between 65 lions and 60 tigers?
(And you see how this can go on, right?)

All of these questions sure keep me on my toes!  One day he said to me "How will we find each other in heaven?"  While I pondered my answer he said "Do you think the Vikings could beat the Seahawks?" Never a dull moment!

I've included a few pictures of Eli with his awesome friend Jacob...they have loved being in class together this year and we've enjoyed our playdates with them.  Eli has tremendous confidence in Jacob's animal knowledge...if Eli asks me a question and I don't have an immediate answer he says "don't worry Mom, I can ask Jacob..."  Those two are going to zoo camp together this summer and we're already counting the days...

Eli takes his role as Samuel's Big Brother very seriously...he calls himself "bro bro" when talking to Samuel.  Those two are constantly touching - either picking on each other or wrestling.  Samuel will come tell me "Eli hit me!"...then run back to Eli before I can answer because he doesn't want to miss a moment, even if it hurts!

Earlier this year, his class studied the letter "Q" and had a wedding to help the kids remember that "Q" and "u" go together to start words...the boys were all quarterbacks from University (wearing jerseys) and the girls were Queens.  So, Q and U got married...the teachers later reported that the happy couple had quintuplets (a good math lesson!)  I asked Eli how the wedding was and he said "it was good...we just took pictures and ate cake."  I nodded and laughed...a perfect wedding recap! 


The end of school brought lots of festivities...I enjoyed going on his class field trip to Cheekwood and he and I both cried at his preschool graduation.  He cried because he saw me crying; thankfully he got himself together before he had to announce to the whole crowd what he wants to be when we grows up.  That announcement is a tradition at his preschool and is so cute.  Eli loves the movie "Frozen", especially the hero Kristoff, so he announced that he wants to be an "Ice Cutter"...we love that imagination!   








Eli is so excited about starting kindergarten in the Fall!  I am so proud of him, but I will miss him very much.  He is so quick to compliment..."Mom, I love this dinner!"..."Mom, is that a new shirt?"...and he's very observant.  Chris continues to say that I'm "smitten" with Eli...can you blame me?

No comments:

Post a Comment