Monday, February 8, 2010

MY WIFE

  • Blog readers (whoever you are)….this is Chris. I was able to hack my way into the blog, which is a huge feat given Melissa’s IT prowess (not really). I’m sure you enjoy reading Melissa’s great posts about our kids, family, trips, former dog, etc, but thought I would spend a minute talking about the author of the blog…my wonderful wife. Sorry for the bullet points, but it was the only way I could break the text up (just think of each as a paragraph - I shouldn't make fun of Melissa's IT prowess).

  • Melissa and I have been married a little over eight years. To this day, I still wonder why she picked me. It is pretty neat how a gal from small town Texas and a guy from the big city (for Tennessee at least) were brought together. For those of you that do not know, I used the greatest pick up line of all time on Melissa. After weeks of research, talking to her pals, professors, pastors and pets, I came up with the heady line of “so…how much does a plane ticket to Texas cost?” If Melissa had the foresight to see that this line might be a harbinger of my frugalness that rears its head from time to time, she might have run the other way….but she didn’t. Instead, she played along with my line and here we are, eight years of marriage and two wonderful children later.

  • As many of you know, Melissa is the most positive, most encouraging person that I know. She rarely has a bad day. She absolutely loves her family (our unit of four, her side of the family, and yes, even my side of the family). Her attitude and energy are contagious. She is good at whatever she does and people are really drawn to her.

  • Melissa has been so wonderful to be willing to change as we’ve had children. As I think back, having children has been a big adjustment for me, but nothing like for Melissa. She gave up her career to raise our children. When their schedule changes due to sickness, parties, etc., then her schedule is the first to change. She just goes with it and even thanks me for working so hard for our family! She is truly an amazing woman and I am blessed to be married to her!

  • Our children love her with all of their hearts. Just yesterday, I was able to witness their faces when she returned from a night away with a couple of girl friends. Lucy jumped four inches in the air (which is much higher than her typical vertical of two inches) and Eli almost fell over he was so excited. They love her so much and just want to be with her.

  • There is a song by Stephen Curtis Chapman titled “How Do I Love Her.” Many times when I think about Melissa, the following excerpt from the song comes to mind:

  • "Out of all the gifts you’ve given besides the very gift of life
  • There is none as precious to me as the treasure of my wife
  • And still all the love in my heart is like a raindrop to the sea
  • When compared to your love for her…and that’s why I’m asking please
  • Will you teach me what she needs I’m an earnest man when it comes to learning how to love this woman
  • How do I love her
  • How do I let her know she means more than anything to me
  • How do I love her"

  • Well, that’s what I wanted to tell you about the amazing wife, mother, wedding planner, blogger, chauffeur and blog author that is Melissa Wyatt.

  • Now I’ve put my two cents worth in, you put yours in. Post a comment with a great memory about Melissa (I’m okay if it’s a bit embarrassing, just remember our children will read this one day), or let her know how much she means to you. I’ve gone first, so I took the pressure off the rest of you in blog land.

  • One final item, I’ve attached one of my favorite pictures of Melissa and I from ten years ago. I carry this picture with me whenever I travel without her and look at it each day (to remind me of her….and also to remember how good I looked wearing my hat backward!).

3 comments:

  1. I am so thankful to have Melissa as a sister and Chris as a brother-in-law. I have always looked up to Melissa...and since she has married Chris, I admire the way they live their lives and have learned so much from them. They are a great team - as spouses, siblings and parents.

    I have several favorite Melissa memories...and will list a few.

    The summer we moved to Knoxville...I was depressed about starting a new high school and Melissa was getting ready to start UT...she would dance around my room and sing songs to make me cheer up and laugh. She invited me to her dorm numerous times, it never phased her to include me in her college life.

    Cooking Thanksgiving dinner in Nashville...when we almost dropped the turkey b/c we put oil on it?!?!

    Rockin' at the Tina Turner concert 8 months pregnant with Eli...such a great sister event!

    Playing Hershey Park at Grandma & Grandpa's...I love the way she did the card signs for all of the rides. Also...Nancy Drew and sister Sue, hiking down the creek and walking on the ice in the winter.

    Girls trips with Mom...Canyon Ranch, Chicago, New York...good food, shopping and cupcakes!

    To me, Melissa makes everything in my life a bit better...she has a way my taking away my anxieties, like decorating my apartment or our house, entertaining people, having baby, applying for grad school...I look back and am so thankful I have her in my life. She knows how to love - and knows how to bring out the best in me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only known Melissa a few years, but was immediately touched by her warmth, and welcoming nature. She, like all the Freeman's (and related clans) I know, never hesitate to welcome me into their family and I've enjoyed getting to know all of them through the years.

    I think my favorite memories of Melissa include her telling stories about Lucy and Eli, she lights up and you can just tell she is thrilled to share...much the way she writes this blog. The stories are great when she starts talking about balancing being a "parent" and being in that that roll with being so touched at how cute or funny the kids are being and wanting to embrace that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, like Casey, have known Melissa a short time (barely a year) actually but I think the world of her! She exudes love, joy, and happiness in everything she does. Her bright smile and positive attitude make any situation a better one simply because she is a part of it. She is a Fantastic Friend, loving mother, affectionate wife, caring sister, and thoughtful daughther. Although I've only known her and her family a short time I strive to be more like her in many ways. I have sooo much respect for her and admire her approach to everyday life. Her love for her family is soooo abundantly clear and the world is a better place because she lives in it. She and Chris are totaly meant to be and made for each other. This blog is just a little slice of heaven! God sure knew what he was doing when he made you and your wonderful fam! love you sooo very much Melissa!

    ReplyDelete